Saturday, May 22, 2010

Inexpensive, Healthy Dog Treats

We are on step 4 of ruling out causes for my pup's skin problems. Step 4 in my vet's method is a hypoallergenic diet. This goes on for a couple of months and you are expected to stop all treats, rawhides, pig's ears, table scraps, etc. Yikes. The new dog food mainly consists of fish and potatoes. I set out to find treats and pretty much all I found was expensive salmon sticks ($5.89 for a few sticks my dog would wipe out in a minute flat) or dried sweet potato. But there is good news, these are treats I can make in my own kitchen! The sweet potato is easy. Thoroughly clean the sweet potato, nuke it on low power for several minutes until it starts to soften. Cut them up and either place in a food dehydrator or in the oven at about 250 degrees for a couple to a few hours depending how big you make them. Super simple, no chemicals, fake coloring, etc. The salmon I won't be trying. While it is easy, I've been warned that it is a very stinky process to dehydrate fish. I don't have a dehydrator so I can't really do this any other place than my oven. If her issue is truly food allergies, I'll run out and buy a dehydrator lickety split. I may do that anyway because there are good options even if your dog doesn't need special foods. You can dehydrate pretty much any lower fat meat. Find whatever's on sale and go to it - lean beef, chicken, turkey, venison.. Bonus points if you can use something hormone and antibiotic free!

No comments: