Friday, January 30, 2009

Tax Time

I have a love-hate relationship with this time of the year. See, I love that I get a check. A present to myself, if you will, because I chronically overpay my taxes. Now to me it is a large amount, but when I figure out the dollars of interest I'm missing out on, it's in the range of $10-20 for the year so it's really not a big deal. I hate this time of year because my employer waits till the last possible second to send W2s out. It's January 30th and the mail person hasn't brought my W2 yet. And my under-achieving company is aiming to have them out by Feb 2nd when they are required to have them out. Then there is Schwab. Some bill passed this year gives them until Feb 15th to send out 1099s. But 2/15 is a Saturday so they really have until 2/17/09 to mail them. And they sent out an email that leads me to believe they will take every bit of extra time.

Why? I'm sure there aren't people caged up in cubicles working overtime to lick stamps and envelopes after having penned in the numbers. There must be programs for these things. And tax laws don't change *that* much year to year. Bleh.

I estimated my numbers by comparing last year's final pay check to last year's W2 and if I'm close, it will be a good year. I haven't estimated the dividends and interest but they won't amount to much.

No comments: