Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Choosing Companies to Work on Your Home

Yikes, I almost made a big mistake. I started with the phone book and picked several companies that sounded like they might fit the bill. I then went to their websites and looked over their services. That narrowed the list to two companies. I then went to the BBB and checked out their ratings. A+ each. I called my first choice because of their listed services. It sounds like they specialize in exactly what I need done. So I call the land line. I think I was magically transferred to the cell phone. It stopped ringing and I heard muffled sounds followed by a voice. I thought perhaps he was finishing a conversation before speaking to me but in the end I'm not sure he ever knew he "answered" the phone. The conversation went something like this, "You need to drop him. He's going to ruin your reputation. He's a f****** moron." At that point I hung up because I wasn't sure I wanted to talk to him if he ever realized he "answered" the phone. I then called my next choice and got a friendly employee. We scheduled an appointment for an estimate. When I got home I was little freaked out by the experience, not sure what to think really. Should I call the first company again so I can compare two estimates? So I signed up for Angie's list. These were the only two companies in my area with ratings. Rating for company 1? D. Among the complaints - overpriced, low quality, unresponsive. Rating for company 2? A. Among the positives - responsive, priced right, decent quality. I think that says enough..haha. I won't bother calling the first company again unless something goes very badly with the estimate.

No comments: