Friday, December 18, 2009

Tax Refund - Plan B

I recently realized I have an ice problem. In retrospect, I should have known sooner. About the time the realtor and I noticed the air conditioner was damaged and the neighbor said it had been damaged by ice falling from the roof. His solution? Put a board over it so when the ice falls, it hits the board. That sounded easy enough. I didn't think to wonder why there was ice up there in the first place.

After a good amount of research, I've concluded it's a combination of lack of insulation and ventilation in the attic. Anything not addressing those two items is a temporary band-aid sort of solution. I'm hoping the tax refund will cover it. Or mostly cover it. I'm not sure where to start. It's bothering me because that ice up there can cause water damage, it could fall on a small child, it drips and refreezes on my entrance, etc. I don't think a roof rake will reach and I don't foresee myself getting on a ladder and wielding a rake at the snow on the roof. Maybe I should get an estimate ASAP so I can at least start planning. I don't even know if they work in winter. For now it probably doesn't matter. Next week is Christmas, the week after that is New Years. Then it is January and my tax documents will start flowing in. Maybe I can get the estimate January and go from there.

No comments: