Friday, December 11, 2009

Planning for a Tax Refund

The wheels have started turning as to how I'll spend a tax refund. To be conservative, for now I'm planning that I will get back half the amount I got back last year. If that is the case.. I think I will use $200 toward a computer. I will have enough then for a modest laptop when I add that to the gift cards I'll be getting as a wellness reward at work. I think I'll also make two student loan payments. This will give me a nice buffer in case I have tight months in the future and only want to make half payments. After that I will pay $500 on the balance transfer on the credit card.

If I do get close to what I received last year, I'm not sure what will happen with the rest. I would really like a cabinet for my bathroom (~$200 from Home Depot). I'm also afraid of what the tree will cost me in spring. The neighbors had a similar sized tree timber'ed for a small fee of $1700 (gulp). I'm hoping we can stick with trimming the dead stuff out but if there's extra refund I may keep it around just in case. And if the tree goes well, the possibilities are endless. :) I have noticed there is always something to spend money on when you have an older home. I could refinish the hardwood floor, get some electrical work done, finish refurbishing the bathroom, save for new windows or new carpet.. I could just keep it in savings until the economy picks up. That seems like the best plan. Not much fun though.

No comments: