Sunday, February 21, 2010

How Long Could I..

afford to eat if I lost my job? I decided I better sit down and find out. First stop, my spreadsheet tracking what I spend. Unfortunately I've been half-assed at the whole tracking thing lately but it's the best I have. It looks like I've been spending around $2200 a month. Now some of that is a student loan that could be deferred or put into forbearance if needed. Another chunk of that is me paying over the minimum on my car loan. Another chunk of that is home improvements that, let's face it, I wouldn't be doing if I were living on my savings. So we'll say $1900 if I had to cut back.

Next stop, let's check the touch-able assets. 6 and a half months in cash and cash equivalents. 3 months in taxable investment accounts. When I move my refund as needed that will be another month. So 10 and a half months. Not too bad. Kinda makes me want to spend my refund as previously planned. But for now I'm making note of it and sending it away to savings.. I dunno when I'll feel comfortable spending it.

No comments: