Friday, February 19, 2010

Unexpected News

The company I work for started layoffs this week. By my calculations they've done about half of the planned layoffs for the year. I survived the first round but no one knows when/who will go next. The good news is my tax refund, most of it at least, landed in my account today. Unfortunately TurboTax mucked up my state refund. I live in one of the four states that counts HSA contributions as taxable income. To top it off, TurboTax counted it twice. Then instead of admitting the mistake, it just automatically corrected it - after I filed my returns. So now I can't even use TurboTax to amend my state return since it still believes nothing changed. I love TurboTax, but that is a stinky bug. I filed my amendment today at the state's website so hopefully I have the rest of my refund soon. Mental note for next year - use the state's website to e-file my tax return and save $20!

Anyway, now I'm becoming very indecisive about what to do with the refund. $1000 is definitely spoken for - having been spent already or being spent soon. The rest I feel should be put in savings but in my heart I still want my piano. And the freezer on my refrigerator is not behaving. To be honest I'm sure it's been that way for awhile. I may just ignore awhile longer. Yay for having money to be indecisive about :)

No comments: